To apply for 3SquaresVT benefits, you can:
- Apply online or
- Download and print a paper application or
- Apply in person at your local district office (click here for a list of offices) or
- Request that a paper application be mailed to you by filling out the form below or
- Call 1-800-479-6151 to have an application mailed to you.
DCF/Economic Services Division
Application and Document Processing Center
103 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05671-1500
You can mail in your application as long as you have filled out pages 1-2 (Questions 1-4) and have signed page 18. This begins the application process. However, the 3SquaresVT office will need further information before determining your eligibility and will ask you additional questions in your interview. If you are able to fill out more of the application, your application may be processed more quickly. Please read these tips for filling out the paper application.
After you turn in your application, the 3SquaresVT office will set up a time for you to talk with a worker over the phone. You will get a letter from the 3SquaresVT office that tells you the date and time of your interview. If you cannot speak to the 3SquaresVT office on the day and time of your interview, be sure to call or write to the office to ask for different time for your interview. You may request an in-person interview at the 3SquaresVT office if you prefer.
During the interview, a worker will go over your application with you and may ask you to send or bring in papers (.pdf) to prove things like where you live or how much money you make. You may be able to find out that day if you can get 3SquaresVT benefits or it may take longer if the worker needs more information. If you do not have the information your worker needs when you meet, you will have time to get it, but it may take longer for you to get 3SquaresVT benefits.
How Long Does it Take?
You should get your 3SquaresVT benefits within 30 days of turning in your application if you are found eligible. It may take longer if you need to give the 3SquaresVT office more information.
You may be able to get 3SquaresVT benefits within 7 days if:
- Your gross income is less than $150 per month and you have less than $100 on hand or in the bank right now;
- OR you are a migrant or seasonal farm worker and have little or no income right now;
- OR your monthly rent or mortgage plus utilities cost more than your monthly income plus any cash you have on hand or in the bank.
To apply for emergency 3SquaresVT benefits, you need to fill out the 3SquaresVT application and send it to the address above.
- If you do not have time to fill out the whole application right now, you can just fill out pages one and two of the application. Page one asks for your name, address, and signature. Page two asks about your emergency needs. You can tear off these pages and mail them.
- If you use this shortcut, you will have to fill out the rest of the application when you have an interview with the worker from the 3SquaresVT office.
What if I have questions about the 3SquaresVT Application?
If you have questions or need help with the application, you can get help from:
- Your local Community Action Agency or
- Your local Agency on Aging. If you are over 60, you can also call the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.